Friday, September 2, 2011

Dragon*Con Friday!

What a day! AND I left the con early.

I decided that I didn't want to wait in any long lines, so that means many of the popular sessions were out of the question. 

Started out with the Gerry Anderson:UFO panel. Real good recap of the show, learned some tidbits of how the show was produced. It's link to Space:1999. I of course, put two cents in. Honestly, I don't what it is with stuff like this, I can't keep my options to my self. And best of all, plans for UFO: The Movie. The only thing holding it up is financing, so it may be a while. The had a link up up the producer/director Matt Gratzner. The cool thing is most of SFX will be with models and not CGI. The is a head a model studio after all. Still looking forward to this.


Woman dressed as Moon Base Tech.
Ironically, she wasn't at panel.

Next up was Whedonverse 101 - Which was full by the time I got there. So I ended up with my forth choice. Stargate Universe - Year in Review. The True Blood panel had huge line, and Macross panel was 3 hotels away. The Stargate was pretty good for canceled and not well liked series. Lots of debate on what went wrong with series. Ditto with my input on this panel as well.


Wraith - from Stargate Atlantis, not Universe, but beggars can't choosers.


Took a bit of break from here to check out the dealer rooms. Really, not much for me. I bought a small Steampunk gun, a couple of PS 238 Trade Paperback and that was it. Most of the ray guns were either Steampunk or movie prop. I was hoping for something more 50's sci-fi.

At 4:00, I hit the Film Festival Track, Animation show. One film from RISD {Playing for Keeps}, which I hated! There was two I really like. One was history of boxer, John L. Sullivan {Gilded Age Gladiator} and one about the Collyer brothers {Junk Palace}. The others were OK.


Then at 5:30, I by passed trying to get to Buffy: Season 9 for, yes, Taxes for Artist. While it focused mostly on Federal Taxes, I tired, and think succeed in pointing out areas of concern on the state level. I wanted to talk to the host, but didn't want to miss the next session. This one one I would have stayed in line for.



I really like the idea of Radio Theater. Old time radio is cool, but old. I have always wanted to see it done with up to date themes. Of course, this was a comedy show, so the did a 40's Sci-Fi spoof (set way in the future 1985!), a talk show spoof, a hard boiled detective and a Steampunk Sherlock Holmes. They did not disappoint! Excellent Show!




After the show I decide to call it quits as I am meeting David at 10:30.

One other item I did buy was Cosplay for a Cause 2012 Calendar. Cosplay is basically women dressing up as Japanese Animation characters. All the proceeds go to Japan Relief efforts. And that is the only reason I got it.





Here are some other photos:










No comments: